BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday 6 September 2011

The long post about life and stuff....

It was either a deep, meaningful post, or a post about how our toilet pipe got blocked and poor Mr Owl had to dig it up.....I'm thinking you would want to read about the former.

Last week, flicking the channels, I came across one of those talent seeking shows, in this case it was a singing talent show. Truth be known, I'm not a big fan of these types of shows (although there is some amazing unknown talents out there), one audition in particular, had me at hello.

This is Emanuel Kelly:




Emmanuel and his brother Ahmed were adopted from Iraq, both suffering limb deficiencies as a result of chemical warfare. They were found in a shoebox, without birth certificates or any identification. They were abandoned at an orphanage and rescued by Moira Kelly- an amazing person who has carried out large-scale humanitarian projects and has been there to assist desperate and sick individuals in all parts of the world.


Despite his physical disabilities, Emanuel has a beautiful voice....you can see his audition here.


As everybody, I thought about how his story put everything in perspective, meaning that the things I sometimes grumble about, is nothing compared to the trials in his life. But I mostly thought about what his adoptive mother said to him, throughout his life, to make him a seemingly well adjusted, positive individual despite his physical (and most probably emotional) trials.


I have always been a strong believer in 'actions speak louder than words.' But do they? For instance, if anybody has had a trial or a death in a family, I've always made a meal...in my mind, this is helping out...but are words sometimes better??


Anyway, Moira Kelly physically and emotionally looked after Emanuel...but her mindset must have been a very positive, life changing one because of who he's turned out to be- his disabilities did not define him.


So here is my thing...if a mother cooks, cleans, does the PTA at school, makes school costumes, reads books, physically looks after her children 100% but does not instill positive affirmation in her speech and conduct towards her children, will that negate all her physical work? Are words more important?


Don't get me wrong, physically looking after your children, making sure they don't have black foot disease (from when you don't clean the floors) and making sure they're not labelled the 'stinky kid' at school is very very important. Making sure they don't die of leprosy due to unhygienic conditions is very important too.


But are words more important than actions?


In my case, I use to place a 70/30 on actions vs words...I think I'm leaning towards 50/50 now....


Too deep? You're probably thinking why oh why did she not post on the stinky poo pipe??


Thanks for listening x





No comments: